The purpose of this page is to collect sound advice with regards to how to set up logging in large and possibly distributed systems.
- Error log to trigger actions from operations.
See also Logging FAQ.
The log implementation should match the requirements for the application, but it is possible to use different implementations for different needs.
- File based logging
- Loghost - centralized logging
- Event based logging - implemented with for example JMS Topics.
- The best way to clean things up is to avoid them getting dirty in the first place, by Johannes Brodwall
- Verbose logging will disturb your sleep, by Johannes Brodwall
- The Problem With Logging, by Jeff Atwood
- Best Practice within Java Web Application Development. Was at: http://org.ntnu.no/feta/report.pdf, chap 5.4 and 5.3.