The system has multiple user sets that require different sets of features.
Create enough features in a release to support the essential requirements of one user set. Migrate that set of users first. This pattern is closely related to the Limited releases principle.
- By limiting the number of users that are exposed to a release the advantages of a Limited release are achieved.
- If there is a large variation in features that are needed for different user sets this pattern reduces MRP significantly
- This pattern does not work well if there are strong interdependencies between user sets.
- If users that have been migrated gain significant advantages over the rest this strategy can cause discontent
- In an administrative application one release could be focused on the needs of customer support. The release would only contain features that allowed customer support to do look ups of customer data.