A baseline is a set of software services with fixed versions and their configuration in a known Operating System environment on known hardware.
In other words;
- Software versioning can be implemented with maven-release-plugin
- Configuration versioning
- known Operation System environment is achieved by
- controlled access to privileged operations (minimize root-access)
- have documentation/script for setting up a basic system
- have documentation/script that explains the changes from the basic system to the setup needed by the application
When the above is in place we have a known baseline. Each axis/dimension can be changed in isolation, but we shouldn't "accept" a new baseline without evaluating if the new baseline is better 1 than the previous one.
1 Better is determined by an comparison of new and old baseline according to a chosen set of drivers.