Currently I am focusing on severe abnormous memory consumption and leaks in a JSF application running on Websphere 220.127.116.11
Technologies that seems to be involved so far in the analisys is:
- MyFaces 1.1.6.
- Components are stored in Http session, and consumes about 2/3 of total heap of 1.5 GB. Session timeout is 8 hrs, which of course is problematic.
- Models is stored on session scope, so as the user navigates through screens more and more memory will be consumed.
- Axis2 1.4.1
- A suspicious amount of 65 MB of AxisConfiguration objects resides on the heap. Has not been able to reproduce on Sun JVM / JBoss and unit tests. Axis2 is used both for providing and consumption of webservices.
I am aware of that JSF is known to consume a lot of memory, and it is planned to replace MyFaces 1.1.6 with JSF 1.2 RI and Facelets. This is not an option on a very short term, so any quick wins would be appreciated.
We are currently considering these measures:
- Reducing session timeout
- Looking for managing model beans on a conversational scope. How can this be introduced smoothly? Orchestra? Spring Webflow?
- Persisting idle sessions to Websphere session database.
- Putting up more appserver instances